Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mmm, Mmm good

I had tomato soup for lunch today. Now, I've made homemade tomato soup and store brand but in my opinion there is nothing quite like Campbell's tomato soup. I don't know if it is the nostalgia of Sunday night soup before choir practice that I often ate growing up or what but I still prefer it above anything else. I was just recently able to convince my non-picky eater to eat it by adding pasta alphabets and calling it alphabet soup. I have also branched out to get my picky eater to eat tuna melts by just calling it a cheese melt instead. (my girls LOVE cheese) Truth be told I am blessed to have two girls that eat most anything I put in front of them. Of course they have favorite foods but for the most part they are not picky. My philosophy of continuing to put food in front of them, whether they eat it or not has proven to work for me. I kept putting green peppers in front of Emma and now she eats them, she acquired the taste. It is a work in progress, I suppose, to get my kids to eat the way I know it is healthy for them.

I am also a work in progress and am so glad that God keeps working on me to get me to be where He wants me to be. I love the verse in Philippians 1:6 where we can really see that God is not done working on His children, "And I (Paul) am certain that God, who began the wood work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." (NLT) There are several things that I love about this verse. God is not done with me. I wanted to title this post as "I know that He knows that I know that He knows". For me that is part of what this verse is saying. God is letting me in on the secret that He knows that I am a work in progress. Although it is obvious by my thoughts, actions and attitudes that I am a work this is proof that it is His plan to be that way.

I just got a NLT Bible for Valentine's day and really like the way it was translated in this verse. "...will continue his work until it is finally done..." I don't know about you but sometimes I am waiting for that finally to be here now. I desire more than anything to please God, to know Him and to do His will, yet sometimes I get easily distracted by my failures in all those areas. His work in me will not be final until Christ returns. I am a work in progress and I am so thankful for that. God's Word is full of hope that He is working on us and that we are not alone in our struggles. Paul confessed to the church in Rome that "I have discovered this principle of life- that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 7:21-25b NLT) I can't count the number of times that I have thanked God those words are in the Bible.

God is working on all of His children. His word tell us that He is not done yet. Scripture also reminds us that we will have to turn to Jesus Christ as the answer to give us power in this war that we all fight within ourselves. The question I asked myself as I served my girls food they didn't like at one time but now eat willingly is what is God continually placing before me in order to help me choose the things that are healthy and good for me? Recognizing the consequences of my words and actions, recognizing my pride, recognizing my judgemental attitude are all areas that God is placing before me and working on me so that I would make the wise choice. As my Father I know He is giving me good things to "eat" when I read and apply the Scriptures to my life, but I don't always want to change. I sometimes want to keep eating my own diet of selfishness and pride because it is easy and tastes good. Yet it is in His grace that He loves me enough to discipline me towards a righteous life (see Heb. 12:5-11). May I continue to grow in my awareness of the things that God wants to continue working on in my life until the final day comes. His scripture really does have very tasty morsels and to that I say it is Mmm, Mmm Good!




***As and aside, if you do have picky eaters in your house don't consider me an authority on how to help change that. My girls really don't fall into the "picky" category.

1 comment:

BigMama said...

Great observations here and a very apt comparison. I do think that too often I'll choose from the "Bible menu" but only things that are already familiar or comforting to me, rather than stretching myself to areas that will require me to give up a bit of that comfort or familiarity.