Sunday, April 5, 2009

Organically me

O.K. I'm going to let you in on something that I have been working on here and there over the last several years. I have read 3 different books (maybe more) that have encouraged me to come up with a life mission statement. As a person who likes to put into action good ideas that I read I have attempted to do this a number of times. Never have I come up with something that is "organically me" shall I say. Of course I don't think it is an easy task to come up with a mission statement. There are so many things that I want to do and be and work on. In the past I always saw examples that were so good but when I tried to use them I never felt ownership. If you have a quote that means a lot to you or a statement of faith that you have seen elsewhere that is a great thing but I wanted something that was completely me.

There are many definitions for the word organic, most of which deal with life growing without pesticides and such but one definition of organic is
arising as a natural outgrowth. That is the kind of life I want to live. I want to live organically with all of my life being a natural outgrowth of my relationship with Christ. There are so many things that clutter my life and take my focus away from where it should be, therefore living organically should acknowledge those things and more forward. Circumstances, relationships, struggles and sin are all areas that when dealt with and allowed to can bring about the natural outgrowth of Godliness. 1 Timothy 4:7 says "discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness." There may not seem much correlation between discipline and natural outgrowth but I think there is on further inspection. The Bible is full of stories of people who were real, transparent and organic before God but who also chose to discipline their lives to follow God's commands. I want to explore the depths of organic living with Christ in a world that desires to see what is real.

This brings me to my life's mission statement. I wrote this in a moment of inspiration on February 21st of this year. It has been29 years in the making and may be revised as the years go but completely reflects where I am at right now. May this inspire you to consider what your life's mission statement is and what level of an organic life you want to live.

Megan's Mission Statement: I desire to know and love God more and to consistently have my actions, attitudes and thoughts reflect a passionate love for Christ, recognizing this can only be accomplished because of and through His grace, mercy, forgiveness and love.


No comments: