Saturday, May 9, 2009

Legacy

Oh how often in parenting I wish there was an easy button to push. I wish that I could push the easy button when I need a new attitude, when my kids need a new attitude, when I am tired or when I am hurt. I wish that there was some way to guarantee that my girls will turn out the way I want them to, respectful, obedient, worshipers of God. Since there is no button to push, I pray continually that the legacy I leave my children is one of contentment with God, love for others and passion for the lost. Unfortunately there are many days that those principles don't resound through my house and I once again am on my knees asking God to make up for my lack and the truth is I am all lack. Apart from God this task is WAY TOO BIG for me to handle.

As a reflection on Mothers Day I am reminded of the example my mother has given me. I've grown closer and closer to my mother over my adult life and know that she is a woman of faith and purpose. I'm not sure that she would say that she has always been that way though. She has grown so much in her relationship with the Lord over my life and she is always willing to pass on what she has learned to not only my sisters and me but to all the women she comes in contact with. One thing she and I share a passion for is that people truly come to understand who they are. As my pastor says, understanding who we are and who's we are.

My mother recently wrote a note that expresses a small piece of what God has taught her and I wanted to share that with you.

"One day while walking along the shore at Edisto Island, I was impressed by how different each sea shell was. The difference in size, color and shape made me reflect on the different experiences I've had in my life.
The white shells remind me of the bright spots in my life: my graduation, my wedding day, as well as the birth of my children and grandchildren.
The dark shells brought to mind the difficult times I've had to endure: the loss of a loved one, a broken relationship, and the ordinary stress of day to day life.
But, the shells I like the best are the broken ones. These made me think about the pieces of my life. As I look at these pieces, I can hear my Lord say, "You're broken my child, but without this brokenness you can't grow. As you let Me comfort you, you will learn to comfort others. I love you so much that I sent my one and only Son, Jesus to die for you."
Just like I went looking for these shells, collected them and put them in this jar, so God came looking for me. He calls me by name and promises that He will never leave me or forsake me. What a joy and what a simple lesson to be learned from a jar of ordinary sea shells, each one different, each one special, just like each of us is special to our Heavenly Father when we seek a relationship with Him.
I pray that this jar of shells will help you be reminded of how special you are to God. He calls you by name, too, and promises that He won't leave you either. When the creator of the universe says that, how can we doubt our purpose and significance?"

I am so blessed to have a mother who lives a life fully knowing who she is and who's she is. I want to pass the same confidence and faith on to my girls. I'm not sure what my mom was like when my sisters and I were toddlers, if like me she thought some days might drive her crazy and others made her cry and laugh and pray even more all at the same time. Whatever she was like then I owe her the gratitude of who I have become now. Thanks mom! I love you and covet your prayers for my family.

No comments: