Monday, June 1, 2009

Musical Monday

Hello world. That's how I feel right now because it is so early (5:30am). There is really no reason to be out of bed yet because Emma is actually still sleeping but the birds were singing outside my window and I didn't want to just lay there so I am up and in a reflective mood.


I knew I wanted to do a musical Monday post today and was trying to decide what song to post. Yesterday's church service served as a wonderful time of worship and I am having trouble deciding which song to post because God used each of the songs to touch me and speak to me. I finally decided to post None but Jesus by Hillsong United because it seemed to speak well to some of the thoughts I have been having recently.

I believe that one of my weaknesses that for me is exaggerated as a stay at home mom is I often wonder what is "normal". I can't say I obsess, dwell or worry about it but I often consider how my average day compares to other women I know. "How do they make it work to play with their kids and get housework done? Do all kids act like this? Do all moms at least feel like reacting like this?" These are just a sampling of some thoughts that run through my mind. Now I KNOW that comparison is a trap that can paralyze a person from accomplishing much of anything. So much time is spent either comparing and feeling better about your life causing pride to swoop in and do it's nasty work or on the other hand feeling completely inadequate and often helplessness, depression and a whole other host of things take over. There are people in my life who I admire. I admire their spiritual discipline and biblical knowledge, I admire their parenting, I admire their creativity or their flexibility. I admire their emotional stability. These things are wonderful character traits but what I don't want to happen is to admire them so much that I want to become them.

God made me and loves me. That is a truth that is so important to remember when tempted to play the comparison game. In turning my attention to what is "normal" I often lose sight of what is important, what God wants me to do. I too often forget that God has put me here, gifted me with my husband and my children because He knows that He has given me exactly what it takes to do my job well and with creativity. Our pastor spent much time driving home the 1st point of his message yesterday and I couldn't agree more, "Our identity is in Christ - not this world" (2 Tim. 1:1-5). My life is not defined by the normalcy of it but by the fact that I am loved by the creator of the universe and share an intimate relationship with Him. There is no doubt that God uses other peoples lives to shape me and refine me, to help me see how to better spend my time and to help me make lasting changes but God is the One who is working in me to make me more like Him.

I really met with God in worship through this song because it helps me to remember to quiet the voices other than God's that fight for my attention.



In the quiet, in the stillness
I know that you are God
In the secret of your presence
I know there I am restored
When you call I won't refuse
Each new day, again I'll choose

There is no one else for me
None but Jesus
Crucified to set me free
Now I live to bring Him praise

In the chaos, in confusion
I know you're sovereign still
In the moment of my weakness
You give me grace to do your will
When you call I won't delay
This my song through all my days

There is no one else for me
None but Jesus
Crucified to set me free
Now I live to bring Him praise

I am yours and you are mine...

All my delight is in you Lord
All of my hope
All of my strength
All my delight is in you Lord
Forevermore