Saturday, October 10, 2009

Worship

God is Awesome! God has really been working in me over the past month and I have much to share about the journey but for now I just want to share with you three separate worship experiences.


Three Rivers Stadium, 30 thousand people (maybe more), sun shining, bright colored shirts, singing I Surrender All with a couple hundred other people. I had the unique privilege to sing in the Billy Graham Crusade choir when I was young. My mother and I sang in every crusade that week and I have no idea how many lives were changed but I am sure it was a lot. My own life was changed because the experience taught me how to love God through worship. My spirit and God's spirit were united in worship at that moment and it has left an indelible mark on my life.


Cement walls, tin roof, dust, heat, 50 African men, women and children singing quite loudly and emphatically the same song, I Surrender All. Spending time in a culture where people have so little yet give so much teaches you about worship. As a young woman on a mission trip to a very remote area I was surrounded by the truth of this world we live in, it is broken. Why there is such inequality simply because of where you were born or the color of your skin is beyond my comprehension. On that day I worshiped in the truth that my God is bigger than the present reality of this world and He deserves worship simply because HE IS GOD.


Zune in hand, earphones in, kneeling on the floor of my bedroom 40 minutes ago, listening to I Surrender All. There is something so sweet about those worship moments that occur unexpectedly and unknown to all but God. (Of course here I am telling all of you :) ) God is really doing some refining work in my life recently and there is part of me that is trying to do the refining work on my own. God is God and well, I am not. What business do I have trying, in my own effort, to do the work that only He can do? I want to bask in the love of God and truly learn to worship Him in both spirit and truth. I am blessed to have worship moments that are obvious markers of God's work in my life and that I have a God who is faithful to always meet me where I am at. There will come a day when I will meet Him face to face and will bow before Him in unending worship but for now I desire so much to practice that which I will do for all eternity. "But the time is coming - indeed it's HERE NOW - when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way." John 4:23 (emphasis mine) I am continuing on this journey to worship my heavenly Father in spirit and truth.

1 comment:

wvniessners said...

These sound like incredible experiences. It's great that you have accounted for them on your blog so you will always remember.