Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday - fasting

Fasting is a spiritual discipline that was once a very common occurrence in my life but has become more difficult and therefore less practiced in my life. As a college student and even a young married woman I took great delight and ease in denying myself from physical food for short or long periods of time. Now, preparing three meals a day plus snacks for 3 other people who have needs often proves more than I want to handle. I do participate in fruit and veggie fasts and the occasional fast from food till 3pm but have not done a full fledged fast in a loooonnnng time.

That ends today. My niece Deborah is participating in the 30 Hour Famine this week and I am supporting her by participating as well. I participated in the 30 Hour Famine when I was in high school and the program/event had a significant effect on my life. I can remember seeing a video clip about how many people in the world don't have clean water to drink and I made a choice at that time that I would never again complain about water. I can remember several of the other activities we did that weekend but that is the one that has always stuck with me.

I am taking the day to focus on just how many physical and spiritual blessings God has given me and to remember the journey He has brought me on so far. I am also really excited to share this experience with my niece.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Good for you! You can do this!! I'll be praying for strength and that this would be an awesome experience of you drawing closer to our Lord!! :) By the way, very true about the water....I think I'll join you and never again complain about "just having water to drink". Thanks!