Saturday, March 24, 2012

The bigger your heart gets...


“…the bigger your heart gets, the smaller the world gets.”  Or so thinks a young girl Katie in the book African Heartbeat.  Every time I read this children’s book to Lydia and Emma I cry.  I can’t help it.  That is because I agree wholeheartedly with Katie.  “Africa is right around the corner.”  

1999 was the first time I traveled to Africa and my life has never been the same since.  I have never been able to put aside my longing to return.  I had return trips in 2001 and then again in 2002.  For the last 10 years though, my longing to see, hear, taste, touch and smell the continent of Africa has lain dormant.  However, it has never been far from my heart or mind that I would return one day.

This is the year my longing and dreams will once again be realized.  I am traveling to Kenya in August.  I will be working with high school students through an organization called Young Life.  We will also be working with a local orphanage.  I am more than thrilled about working with kids.  I have spent my whole life in ministry with kids.  Teaching is my heartbeat so I am excited and encouraged that God has opened this opportunity to me.  

I am grateful for a husband who is supportive and everyone who I know will pray for our team while we are overseas.  I am looking forward to whatever God has in store.  I am sure I will update some of my thoughts as I prepare and hope that I can count on your prayers.  Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

Jenni said...

yay. glad you are getting to go so soon!