Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Useful

For a period of three years we had a broken dishwasher. It sat there taking up space but being entirely useless. Not wanting to have a huge hole in the kitchen cabinets while simultaneously not desiring to spend money on a new one led to the decision of keeping it around. The purpose the appliance was created for went unfulfilled. Tonight I remembered that broken dishwasher while helping the girls with their Bible memory verse.

"God has breathed life into all of Scripture. It is useful for teaching us what is true. It is useful for correcting our mistakes. It is useful for making our lives whole again. It is useful for training us to do what is right." (2 Timothy 3:16 NIRV)

Did you catch how this verse specifically shares four purposes of scripture?

1. Teaching what is true.
2. Correcting our mistakes.
3. Making our lives whole again.
4. Training us to do what is right.

I don't know about you, but I sure could use some help in all those areas and in my current season, a life made whole is very appealing. However, if I don't take time to read , study, reflect on and ponder what is laid out in the Bible I cannot benefit from it. "God has breathed life" into the Bible. Life that I need. With all of life's uncertainties and heartaches of this I remain sure, God's Word will meet me there. You can be met there as well. 

In her song The Word, Sara Groves states it like this,

"And I think it's very odd,
that while I attempt to help myself
My Bible sits upon my shelf
With every promise
I could ever need"

The messages of hope, restoration, healing, forgiveness, grace, joy, love and so many other encouragements resound throughout scripture. I'm not saying that taking steps to carve out time or to work through the emotions that may keep you from opening the Bible will be easy but it will always prove beneficial.

The Word is useful. It is useful in my life and yours. I encourage you to discover or rediscover just how useful and powerful the Word can be in your life.

Blessings!

No comments: